tuscan bean soup
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini or other small white beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt added diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
In a small bowl, mash half the beans. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach; cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Serve topped with the Parmesan.